Thursday, May 22, 2014

Baked Apples & Parsnips


Our Chef Challenge this week was the INgredient Challenge wherein Chef Hallie (the co author of this blog!) and I each selected an in-season ingredient for the other to work with. For me Hallie chose parsnips.

At first I complained, saying I wanted to think about spring and summer - not winter root vegetables. So Hallie conceded and gave me a new ingredient: apples.

That's when it was decided. I would make something with BOTH of these ingredients, because that's why we're here, to try new things! 

For this recipe you will need the following:
(Makes 2 servings)

1 lb parsnips
2 apples (I chose 'Pink Lady')
2 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup orange juice
cinnamon, to taste
nutmeg, to taste
dash of ground red(cayenne) pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.



Chop the apples into large chunks. I happen to have a handy apple-slicer, so I used it to cut and core the apples, and then cut each piece into 2-3 smaller pieces.



Then, peel the parsnips, cut in half, and slice into 1/4 inch pieces as shown.



Arrange the apples and parsnips on a roasting pan in a single layer. 



Cut butter into small pieces(at least 8) and place evenly among apples and parsnips.


Bake for 15 minutes. Stir. Bake for another 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together remaining ingredients: orange juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cayenne (optional). I added a dash of cayenne because I love that sweet and spicy flavor and it adds a tiny kick to the dish.

Once out of the oven, transfer apples and parsnips to a glass bowl. 




Pour orange juice mixture over top and toss gently...and that's it!



I recommend serving piping HOT for best results. I hope you enjoy the sweet and earthy flavor that this dish avails. Would go great with pork chops or baked chicken! 


Don't forget to check out Chef Hallie's INgredient Challenge recipe - Apricot, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Green Salad with Apricot Balsamic Vinaigrette

- Chef Genny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!